Tuesday, October 18, 2005

My life and Cars

Mom......Can I borrow the Car??...........First said in the summer of 1983.........It was a Red Dodge Omni............AKA....pregnet Rollerskate with big wheels.....And about as safe..........I drove that because Dad had a Buick La Saber and that was the "Nice" car we owned and they took that because the parents car pooled to work.............The Omni was nice and fine for a kid in High school great and got great Gas mileage.......Even took a weekend trip to Alpine Valley for the yearly soljern to see the Dead one time and a trip to the New Years shows in San Fran not sure if I would ever go through the Rockies in a car like that again but it was fun...............But alas after a few years it died....Also in that time was my adventure with what every kid seems to do at some point............The Accident........Long story short I was the driver for the car pool late one night after a school play that a few of us were in........Well like any kid I was speeding down a city street......"dinking" around with the car swerving back and forth....Well I lost control.....And it fishtailed..........Went into a yard and between 2 trees......Split the upright there........Hit the bushes in front of the house and ended in the driveway........Only thing is that parked in the driveway was a big...Motorhome...............One of those Winnabagos that looked like a breadbox on wheels...........When I hit it I T boned it so I hit it right in the side with enough force to rock it on it's wheels.........If it would have tipped I know for sure I wouldn't be here today typing this....Nor would anyone else that was in the car..............Anyways..........Totaled Dads car........That's right.....Not the Omni...Too small.....Dad let me use the Big Car because it held more people
From there is was onto the 71 maverick I got as a Graduation Present in 86........Thing was a rusted out boom but it got me from Point A to Point B for the most part..........Even had a hole in the floorboard that while I was at work a mouse would crawl in and sleep in the car.........Well that was just put out to pasture after a couple years.......That's when I got the cavalier that I had for about 10 years.........Great little car.....Was fun to drive,had a tape deck too I could "Rock the Kasbah".Dead Boots for the most part and other Bootleg tapes from concerts I had been to......But even with that one I wasn't the luckiest............One Christmas night while my brother and I was on the way to a friends house to watch a football game some moron in his car tuned into traffic and hit my car......Took a headlight and smashed the fender but atleast this time it wasn't my fault so dad didn't mind that much..........Got it fixed and sad to say.......One month from the day it was fixed I was number 5 in an 8 car pile up on a snowy winter morning.....Well that car after about 10 years more or less just died.........It had seen enough and was ready to be put to pasture anyways.....From there is was a station wagon that was moms old car..........Nothing fancy but I liked it because it was roomy and had a great radio and tape deck.....Again nothing better then cruisin' with the Dead Blasting.....That car already old when I got it and lasted a couple years..........Then came the day back in 98 when I was at work and mom and dad came to see me for lunch.........Well after lunch they said I had to come outside..........That's when they showed me the Tracer Wagon I have now...........It was the first "New Car" I had ever had and I loved it.........Well 7 years latter is still running..........It like myself laughs when it sees cars that have snowtires,window scrapers or rust from salt and sand.

Guess I can't forget the Co-pilot who has been there from just about day one of me getting my license...........Cassady the Dashboard Dog...........Mom hated him when he was in the Omni and it was still her car....But I drove it more so I guess she didn't mind that much....But he's been on the dashboard the whole time.Every car.every mile....he's been there....don't know what I would ever do if I lost him.....there are times I think he would be saved before I would save the car but I hope it never comes to that

1 comment:

Lola said...

Car Killer!